The Right Way to Use Facial Oil
Facial oils can have a variety of benefits for all skin types when used correctly. Facial oils are typically formulated with non-comedogenic botanical oils and essential oils. They help lock in moisture and prevent water loss while also nourishing skin with their rich nutrients.
Benefits of using facial oil include strengthening the skin barrier, evening out skin complexion, softening skin texture, reducing acne breakouts, treating eczema, rosacea, and skin-rashes, regulating oil production, soothing sensitive skin, neutralizing free radicals to support anti-aging effects, and more. To experience the incredible benefits of facial oils, it is important that you understand how to properly incorporate it into your skincare routine.
Our top pick for a facial oil is AFOKOSKIN's Dream Serum. This oil based serum was formulated for nighttime use to restore and repair skin overnight for glowing skin by morning. If desired, AFOKOSKIN's Dream Serum can be used both morning and night.
Here are 5 guidelins you’ll want to follow as you incorporate Facial Oils into your skincare routine:
- Combine Facial Oils with Serums + Moisturizers. Facial Oils serve as an additional barrier to the skin ensuring nutrients and moisture are locked in. Pairing a facial oil with treatment serums and hydrating moisturizers can effectively enhance the performance of these products.
- Apply Based on Your Skin’s Needs. Depending on skin type, you may want to use a facial oil in both your morning and evening skincare routing or limit use to once per day. Also depending on skin type, it may be beneficial to use facial oil overnight to provide protection from light sensitivity and allow time for skin time to absorb the oil.
- Pat into Skin. It may come natural for you to rub your facial oil in like you would moisturizer, but it’s better to pat facial oils onto the skin in order to push them down into your pores allowing for faster nutrient absorption.
- Less is More. Your facial oil contains concentrated amounts of nutrients, so a little goes a long way. About 3 drops of your facial oil should be enough to deliver nutrients to your entire face.
- Use before SPF. Since it acts as an occlusive, your facial oil is recommended to be the last step of your skincare routine in the evening. In the morning, it should be followed by an SPF and applied before makeup.
Your skin type is an important factor to consider as you incorporate facial oils into your skincare routine. Identify your skin type to maximize Facial Oil Benefits.